Old 04-16-12, 10:18 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I only buy from retailers when I have to. I have a bike business, so I get most of my parts from wholesalers. Not that it's much cheaper than some of the on line retailers mind you.
Once again, it is possible you will need a shorter indicator, and if that's the case, you will need to disregard the instructions that tell you to align the coloured mark with the end of the axle in second gear, and just adjust it so it's slack in 5th and just a teensey bit short of fully taut in 1st.
I'd have thought that the length of the indicator spindle has nothing to do with the nut used, seeing as the distance it needs to be pulled out of the axle to engage each gear is the same regardless of how it's pulled out.

I can see how you might need a shorter indicator chain with the short guide nut as opposed to the long one or the pulley, because the short nut takes up less of the chain and there's a chance that the end of the indicator chain will hit the end of the barrel adjuster before the hub engages first gear properly, but if you're using a chainstay fulcrum clip, that isn't an issue because you can move the fulcrum further up the stay if that happens.

I must be missing something in this, anyone know what it is?