Old 04-16-12, 03:24 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Compact double can provide just as large a range (high and low) as a road triple. However, it does result in slightly larger changes between gears. The bike Mrs. Fred got for Christmas has a compact double as a, "suck it and see" trial. She reports no more effort required on even the steepest of our road climbs. Those are probably around 14%. I don't take her up the 20% West Wall (Rd.). If I did, she might not ever ride with me again. Anyhow, the one thing she does report, is that she uses the left shifter/front der. far more than she did on the triple. It seems that at the speeds she frequently rides, she finds herself constantly on the verge of cross chaining. Either large ring/ lare cog or small ring/small cog, to find the correct gear ration. More so than the triple, where she spent the majority of her time in the middle ring and the middle of the cogs.