Old 04-17-12, 08:58 PM
Weizilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain Catches Against Adjacent Cassette Cog

I took apart my cassette (SRAM 1050) to clean it after a sandy adventure along a beach but after reassembling it, I noticed some clicking sounds whenever I crank the pedals and I'm in the smallest, 2nd smallest and 3rd smallest cogs in the back. Upon further inspection, it seems like when the chain is in those cogs, every now and then, one of the special teeth (I guess designed for better shifting) from the next bigger cog would catch the chain, causing the clicking sound.

I checked the H screw but when the derailier is in the smallest cog, the screw is already so far out that it no longer touches the metal that it's suppose to limit the movement of. I played around with the cable barrel adjustment but even after several turns, it didn't seem to do much.

Any ideas on what to do? Taking the cassette off and cleaning it should only make it work better right? Not sure why my chain is now off.

It was my first time cleaning the cassette so could I have messed that up somehow? All I did was shake it in some mineral spirits, let dry then reassemble. Chain was also cleaned the same way, then lubed with Prolink.