View Single Post
Old 04-19-12, 09:04 AM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not surprisingly, I commute on Ultremos every day, although for my commuter I use the Ultremo DD. They aren't really any more durable in terms of longevity but the will withstand those bits of debris that would take a chunk out of the sidewall of a true racing tire. They weigh roughly 240 grams and are as sticky a tire as you'll find. I can't really quantify whether or not they'll last you 18 months as there are so many variables to consider. My last set of DDs lasted just over 2 years, but my commute is relatively short. I do use that bike for more than just commuting though so I'd guess there was roughly 2,000 miles on the set of tires. I replaced the tires when I'd finally wore through the casing and the tube oozed out of the hole and popped. In retrospect I probably should have changed out the tires about 150-200 miles earlier. But up until that time, I didn't get one flat on that set of tires, I attribute some of that to the tire, some to paying attention to what I'm riding through, and partly to good luck.

As some have already pointed out, racing tires are generally not great commuting tires as the properties that make a tire "great" for one purpose generally preclude it from being great for other purposes. Another tire in the Schwalbe line of tires that I'm going to consider next are the Durano Plus tires. They are not light at approx. 350 grams, but they are extremely durable and have uber puncture protection for a race tire. I think one of the upsides will be, my Ultremos on my race bikes will feel that much better when I put my rain bike away for the winter.