Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
I always drink a liter of water at each stop which normally comes each 1-1.5 hours depending on route. Some of the stops were a bit longer this time due to the route, where water was available. The problem is when you don't have many other options for where to get water you can only do what you can do by carrying water with you, hence why I like using one liter pop bottles rather than bicycle water bottle.
I don't understand ... do you wait till the stops to drink? So you don't drink at all for 1 to 1.5 to 2 hours ... and then you drink 1 litre all in one go? (I think I'd be sick!)

Why not get yourself a couple 1 litre water bottles to carry on the bicycle, and sip every 10 minutes or so. You should be drinking at least one 750 ml bottle every 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on weather and exertion. And it is good to have a 500 ml or 600 ml drink at the stops (I like things like coke, iced tea, and orange juice). But your body processes liquid better when you sip than when you try to chug a litre all at once.

Also, when you do that, what do you have in the way of electrolytes? Do you eat a bag of potato chips or take electrolyte tablets?