Old 04-22-12, 06:05 PM
  #1  
bobotech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,255

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
90's Univega Via Carisma, pics and questions

I recently bought this bike from some guy on CL. Paid 30 dollars for it. I bought it mainly as a frame to be fixed up. When I got it, it was a mess. One of the bottom bracket cups was starting to crack. He had a 1" seat post in a 26.0 mm hole (ugh). The rear derailleur was an late '80s Huffy style Shimano SIS model. The front derailleur looked like it sat in a vat of something corrosive. The shifter was a cheap stem shifter. Mismatched brakes. 700c tires in okay shape but I just didn't care for them. Crunchy front and rear wheel bearings. Bad cables all around. Drive side crank was okay (factory SR alloy). Non-drive side was some really low end HEAVY steel black crank, WTF? Cantilever brakes that were badly adjusted and backwards.

I had no idea what the stock parts were so I just kind of threw it back together with what I could find. I thought that the paint on it was really bad at first but after cleaning it up after tearing the bike apart and polishing and waxing, it turns out that the paint is decent even though there are scratches and chips. The lettering is coming off and I'm not sure what to do about that.

I replaced the bottom bracket with cleaned up good cups and nice fresh grease. Replaced the crankset with FSA crankarms that matched and the rings that were on the factory SR arms. Replaced the derailleur with a FD-R443. Replaced the rear derailleur with a Sora derailleur. Cleaned and repacked the front wheel bearings. Cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings. Replaced the tires with the ones that are in the pictures. Replaced the shifters with Deore LX cantilever shifter/brake levers. New cables run for the shifters and brakes.

Cleaned up the brake pads and adjusted everything. There was plenty of meat left in the pads so I left them alone, just adjusted them properly. Replaced the seatpost with the proper sized one. Put everything back together and the bike looks great. I want to ride but can't due to my broken leg! Ugh.

Here are the pictures:















Daisy the dog
bobotech is offline