Old 04-23-12, 06:18 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 246 Posts
Look for the best deal, preferably, just pick up a MTB donor bike. Don't buy parts and pieces one at a time, you will be way upside down by the time you are done. Building a MTB via ebay is an expensive proposition. Any of the Shimano MTB derailleurs are quite good from that era. The higher end ones tend to be lighter in weight, and are more attractive.

Now if you just need a single RD, ebay can work out if you aren't in a hurry (I've gotten an occasional really good deal on ebay, but you really can't beat a donor bike).

Sticker says cromo frame, then my guess the entire frame is cromo. The ones with just cromo tubes usually stated that.

I personally like the STX stuff, but with the black crank, it would look out of place.

Or if you have a co-op in your area, that can work really well too. I donate various bike items about once a month to the co-op, and occasionally pick up an odd item here or there.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-23-12 at 07:45 AM.