Old 04-23-12, 11:29 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The FD-R443 is an off series flatbar/roadbike triple derailleur. It is intended for large front chainrings (52t) but is compatible with flat bar MTB style shifters.

The bike currently has Shimano Deore LX shifters from the early '90s on it. I think the issue is that its is intended for a 9 speed. I used the same derailleur on my other hybrid but that is a much newer bike. My other hybrid has an 8 speed setup and that FD-R443 works great on it. Currently the Deore LX shifters pull too much cable for the FD-R443 to work flawlessly, I have to leave a bit of slack at the resting position. I didn't realize that the FD-R443 came in 2 styles, an 8 speed and a 9 speed. When I bought it from Ebay, the 9 speedd was the only one available (15 dollars shipped).

I want to replace the cranks with alloy cranks. The problem is that I only have the drive side crank, I want to get the matching non-drive side alloy crank.

I would like to really replace the front stem with an alloy stem, replace the crankset with a nice alloy model, and replace the front derailleur with the proper model.