Old 04-26-12, 09:50 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AndyInSydney View Post
For me I think the answer has been principally performing jumping squats a few times a day with some hamstring stretches:
Andy

Great to hear you're seeing some results Andy! I've been experiencing quad cramps for close to twenty years! The worst episodes have always been after an extreme amount of cycling- as an example: after a 10 day 1100 mile bicycle tour, walking down a length of stairs was not going to happen without a cramping episode.

Typically, I don't experience quad cramps unless I try to run. I used to be able to run 3,5,8 miles or whatever, with no issues other than what any fit person might experience. After I first started getting these cramping episodes, it progressed to the point where I cannot run any distance over a half a mile without my quads cramping up. I used to try to get to the point where I could run for exercise and enjoyment. After 20 years of trying and cramping, I've gotten to the point where I don't even attempt to run. All the doctors I visited over the years recommended the same things your doctors did. After a while with no success they all have just basically given up on trying to help me. Certain types of deep tissue massage has helped some, but nothing has allowed me to use running as another form of exercise.

Jumping squats is something I haven't tried. I'm going to give the that shot for a few months and see if that helps.

Do you do much running? Are you able to run without cramping?