onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
As an alternative, Park makes a good substitute chain tool, the CT-4.2, that is suitable for use with Campy chains at much less cost.
Campy chains with the OEM connector (called a HD Link) are not meant to be taken apart. When you buy the chain it will include a use once connector similar to a Shimano connector pin, except the pilot pin is set into the rivet, not attached and broken later. Campy also recommends that you only remove extra links from one side (so the plates where the pin was pushed out is discarded). A lot of riders like the convenience of a re-usable connector and many of the connectors out there are rated for Campy chains. Be advised however that their is when redesigned their Campy 10s chain to Ultra Drive, they reduced the inner plate dimension by .1mm. the same as SRAM 10S. Most of the compatibility claims of connectors for Campy 10s where for the old wider inner plate so they may rattle around a little. I have tested the SRAM 10S connector (which labeled single use) and it fits without any play. Anyway I used the Park CT-3 with Centaur Ultra drive chain and it works fine; there is a step by step explanation here at Park Tool (where else) http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...railleur-bikes scroll down to CampagnoloŽ 10-speed Chains. I think is the best advice is if your are going to use a Campy chain with the HD link plan on keeping the chain on the bike for cleaning or pretty much any other purpose. While I may experiment from time to time, I tend to connect chains the way the manufacturer says; just me

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 04-26-12 at 11:04 PM.