View Single Post
Old 04-28-12, 08:37 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
To Upgrade Or Not, What A Question

I'm seeking opinions on upgrading this Nishiki Medalist. The bike originally came with Suntour Cyclone II derailers, downtube shifters mounted on one braze-on in the center of the downtube, and Superbe brakes and brake levers. The brake levers are non-aero.
I have a Superbe rear derailer (currently mounted on the bike), Superbe aero levers and Suntour bar end shifters. Although these are not original, they are period correct as this model was offered in 1984 and 1985. The Medalist is a fairly rare Nishiki and would be ranked higher than the International. To the best of my knowledge it was never catalogued. I'm 50/50 on adding the bar end shifters, but I like the rear derailer and I like the idea of adding aero brake levers, especially since they are Suntour Superbe.

So should I remain a purist and leave it all original or make the changes? Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by roccobike; 04-28-12 at 08:40 AM.