View Single Post
Old 04-29-12, 02:24 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am Ready for 100 miler

Today was great. Met up with Paisan, Will, and Ibohunt for a wonderful 80 mile ride. This ride was a bench mark, really, for me to see if I would be able to handle it and handle the 100 miler. I must say, it went VERY well.

We have been doing metric centuries the last three weekends and they have gotten easier with each one and I have learned a lot.

The last metric century, I walked away knowing that I needed to tweak a few things:

1) on the ride nutrition. I tried the store bought stuff and it was OK but wanted to try something home made with less ingredients, thinking that it might be better for my stomach

2) I needed a reminder to eat and drink. Time can slip away from you when riding.

3) My upper back and shoulders killed me on longer rides.

So last week, I tweaked stuff. I made a homemade simple (three ingredients really) energy bar. I also picked up my Edge 800 and learned (a little) how to use it. I mainly used it for the time alert so every 15 minutes, the alarm would beep and I knew to eat a little and drink a little. I also went in early last week and got another fitting, order some stuff, got new bar tape with gel and also new summer gloves.

Everything went great. Eating the bars and drinking every 15 minutes went awesome and I was never hungry nor thirsty. It is hard not to pound down the water because I love water so it was a challenge. The Garmin kicked @ss. I love that thing. Do not know how to use it but I love it. I also hooked up my HRM. I really do not know how to use it effectively but I am learning. And the changes I made on the bike were solid and helped out a lot too.

All in all, it was a great ride. 83.75 miles at a 15.9 mph average. Felt great.

I know my nutrition and hydration was solid on the bike because I used to feel soooooo tired on the drive home and for the rest of the night but not today!

Ibohunt: Great to meet you and thank you for making the long drive out and back. Thank you Chris for teaching me so much and thank you Will for being my "suffer" body.

I am now ready for the century!