Old 04-30-12, 01:38 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learn something new every day

The guy that laced the wheels on my '78 Paramount P13 has been around a long time. He worked in one of the first Schwinn dealership in Houston. He allowed me to watch while he re-laced my wheels with double butted spokes and large flange Campy NR hubs. When the subject of wheel and tire size for my P13 first were discussed here on the C&V forum, most everyone was of the opinion that 1978 P13’s originally had 700 wheels and tires. I don't know enough to argue one way or the other but Harry said and showed me in an original Schwinn shop manual that P13’s originally were built with 27" wheels. Now I know why the brake calipers don't quiet reach without almost touching the tires. He said I needed a set of offset caliper mounting bolts if I was going to continue using the 700C wheels. I guess the offset bolt allows the brake pad to reach further down onto the side of the rim. He also told me that he had assembled more Paramount P13-9 bikes than he can recall and all of them got 27” wheels. I’m not sure about all of the Schwinn booklets and brochures I’ve read that stated 700C wheels were for the P13. Knowing all of that I wish I had taken the set of NOS Mavic Module E 27" clinchers with me to Houston. Now the question is, where do I find a pair of offset caliper bolts?