Old 05-02-12, 12:27 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
On this issue, the US will never be the leader of the world. Of the countries of the world, the ones whre the general populace is most stupid about science--including ecology and climate change--are the United States and a few of the Muslim countries. I hate to say it, but this is because fundamentalist religion is so influential in these countries.

I think the developing countries will probably be wise enough to leapfrog past the dirtiest and most destructive technologies. China is pulling back from the automobile as we speak. Car sales grew for a few years, but now they are flat. China is trying to slow down their economy because inflation is a looming problem. Most Chinese people and their leaders seem to understand that cars will increase somewhat, but they will never want to use cars in the same way we do in the US. They can see how much worse the smog is in their cities already. Their cities are so much larger than ours, and so dense, that cars won't work very well. In the countryside there is no infrastructure for cars in most areas.

I don't know a lot about other countries, but I do know that Indonesia is encouraging people to drive less. Brazil is worrisome becuse it's such a large country that cars would probably be practical there, and they're developing huge offshore oil resources right now. Indians seem to be infatuated with cars, and they're working on an expressway system. But they lag behind the Chinese by a couple yers in their ability to afford a lot of cars.

Generally, like I said, I dont think the developing countries will necessarily repeat our mistakes, but they will have many opportunities to make their own mistakes.
I thought I read somewhere that India has almost as many people as China. I could be wrong. But they also seem less concerned with the vehicle itself unlike China. They only want a car and they are building ones that are little more than Go-carts with Briggs and Straten motors like the Tata Nano, Maini Ravai, economy first safety and any other consideration not even second place. And they are making them by the boat load. While most of their cars are small they are pushing them out by the boat load. And while China has slowed the US is storming back. And as Forbes points out the bigger stall in China is because of the quality of domestic brands not demand. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonch...oreign-makers/

We will have to see what happens if China tries to jump start or restart their economy like the US did on the back of auto manufacturing. But still the People of China see what we had and want a piece of it as do the Indians. It is easy for North America that has had the brass ring to say to those who never had it that it isn't worth it. But when you talk to the man on the street in Africa, Asia and South America it still looks tempting. And when people are tempted there are always companies willing to sell them what they are tempted by. It would be nice if others would learn by our mistake but having raised kids I know people learn by making their own mistakes.