Old 05-02-12, 09:15 AM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I've always been confused by this logic, yet I've heard it before. My own intuition tells me that lower pressure reduces flats (other than pinch flats, which have nothing to do with tread penetration), because you have more surface area of the tire making contact with the ground, and less pressure per square inch that a sharp object can exert on the tread.

I wondered about that, but from what I've read, most Cerfs start out around 27mm and stretch to 29, so it should be good. Plus if they stretch to 30, they'll still fit.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. I keep a patch kit/tube/pump with me at all times, so I guess it really comes down to just not liking the anticipation of a flat.

I have found the GB 26s and 28s to run about a mm narrower than marked size, so 25 and 27. This is on vintage (19-20 mm wide) rims. Rim width matters.

Neither the GB nor the Challenge P-R is a good gravel tire, imo. Great road tires, though....

Edit: ...and I don't buy the 'growth over time' argument. Just checked a set of well-used 26 GBs. 25.12 mm wide after about 2200 miles and 1.5 years.

Last edited by 753proguy; 05-02-12 at 09:22 AM.