Master of the Obvious

Bikes: bridgestone mb-6, schwinn tempo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suntour Derailleur Question(s)

Howdy all.
I've been busy the last couple days trying to clean up a Suntour V-T Luxe rear derailleur. Came off of a mid- 70's Raleigh Record. It's the "new" model with the aluminum cage. It's cleaning up pretty well - lots of Simple Green and Dawn. I have a strong hunch I'm the first to clean it.
My main question regards the jockey wheels: I'm strongly inclined to apply grease to the bolt (where there's metal-to-metal contact) but should I be concerned with any of the metal-to-plastic surfaces? The Plastic, BTW, is in really good shape. Curious, as there was so much grime and shmutz on them as to think they were really well (ab)used.

Also, I've searched around and haven't really found an answer (i like) regarding this derailleur's actual capacity. I'd like to repurpose it and some wheels (MTB) in a 1x8 setup. Wish I could tell you the tooth count on that cassette, but all I can recall for certain is that it's a Sram, purchased new, and ridden maybe a mile.
I figure I've got nothing to lose by trying it, and I'll be sure to let you all know how that works out.

I think this little project will be pretty cool when it's complete, and I'll add pics when it's done.

TIA!