Old 05-03-12, 03:29 PM
jharley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me brainstorm tire clearance solution

Perhaps this is a no-brainer for most of you, but I am new to this, so help me out!

I am designing my second frame, a commuter/tourer/cross country bike, with the following desired characteristics:
1) 450mm chainstays
2) 80mm drop
3) room for 2" tires and fenders on 700c wheels
4) a plate for a kickstand mount
4) Conforming to the following lugset and bottom bracket angles that I have:

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...L-SOCKETS.html
http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...E-SOCKETS.html

As you can see, these have are standard road angles. The angle between the chainstays is ~7 degrees or so. I've got a frame drawn up that fits all the angles perfectly, EXCEPT the tire clearance.

Even with 450mm chainstays there is not enough room. So obviously I need to run bent chainstays, right? But this shell needs 22mm round stays, and as I see it I would need to put two bends relatively close together since I can't really change the angle of these chainstay sockets (i.e. an outward bend close to the socket followed by an inward bend further back.)

So option number 1 would be to get some plain round chainstays and bend em, but I don't think I will be able to put these bends in so close together without deforming the stays quite a bit and weakening them?

I considered grinding off the sockets on the BB shell and brazing on essentially a piece of angle iron, then brazing single bend round chainstays (which are available to buy) to that. The angle iron could serve as a kickstand plate as well (pardon my MS paint mockup):

How about Jimmy rigging some kind of other flat plate solution like this (except on both stays):

Or cutting a piece of 4 inch steel pipe and making something like this (except instead of the oval monostay I would have two very short round stays going to it):

Or something I haven't thought of?

Thanks!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3785.jpg (58.3 KB, 42 views)
BB-detail.jpg (34.1 KB, 187 views)
Angle iron idea.JPG (44.5 KB, 39 views)
frame design.JPG (91.0 KB, 43 views)