Old 05-06-12, 09:51 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuslee
Thanks for the advice. I did read a bit online about the fact that if you need to tour on a budget, converting a mountain bike is a good idea. I found this on my local craigslist for only 200$, could you guys take a look at it? Its a ralleigh alyeska http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/2993526700.html

My thinking is that an older bike like this that was made for touring would be a better fit, especially since its half the price of the bikes i was looking at. I would have enough money leftover to probably upgrade some of the components, and perhaps change the tires if they are very old.
It appears you're letting price guide your picking when it should be fit. Get a sense of a correct bottom bracket to seat height, prefered seat to handlebar distance, prefered seat to handlebar rise or drop and stand over height. Seat to bb and stand over should be something you should know before shopping. If you don't have a preference for handlebar height or distance from seat just be aware of their location trying out different bikes.
Knowing these dimensions you can fine tune any bike that fits the budget but if you get a bike that only fits the budget but is a llittle too tall or too small you'll be reminded of it every time you ride.
Everone's different but I've yet to make any straight bar comfortable even with bar ends. Any conversion to drop bars with new parts will eat up that $400 budget if you start with a $150bike and need to replace any of the drivetrain.

Bike shops don't overcharge. That they can't compete with mail order/internet shopping does't mean they over charge.