Old 07-30-05, 04:15 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my bike to the car wash!

My road bike was filthy, so I decided to wash it at my local car wash. I took a spray can of degreaser (biodegradable orange something I got at my Trek dealer). I sprayed the whole bike with the degreaser, let it set for a few minutes, and then sprayed the whole bike with soap and later rinse. I spent $1.25. It worked great! I wiped it down after washing, and my 1980 Univega sparkled like it was new. I was careful not to let the spray focus too hard on the bearing areas, and you should first take off your computer and lights. I know many cyclists frown on this practice, but I don't see anything wrong with this as long as you are careful not to spray the bearing areas too hard.
I had more time on the $1.25 wash than I really needed, so I took along a washable furnace filter and cleaned that too. Maybe you could also take along your dawg and wash him too. By the way, our local car wash now has a dog wash. For five bucks, you get flea soap, conditioner and a dryer. You put the dawg on a ramped stainless steel tub, and leash him to it. My dawg was a little hesitant at first, but after s few seconds, he loved it. The water is warm. What do you think?