View Single Post
Old 05-08-12, 10:07 PM
yourboyblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprintfree
Thanks for everyone's input, I have decided my rain jacket will double as my wind breaker. A lot of people are telling me I should cut back on the shirts and I think their right, maybe I will have the room to include a pair of lightweight pants then. I'll drop one of the jerseys and the arm warmers.I guess it would be unnecessary for me to bring the armwarmers when I have a long sleeve **** anyway. I'll look into getting a tire boot before I leave, they seem worthy of their weight/space for insurance purposes. Good suggestion about not needing the shampoo, that will be removed from the final list aswell.

Thanks for all this input! I think I will feel safe shrinking this list down a bit now
Let me join the chorus of people telling you to bring less clothing, especially shirts. I like wool as well, but I've found the wool jerseys to be too heavy. I rotate two Smartwool microweight tees--rinse one at night, wear the other to sleep and ride the next day. I also carry a heavier weight wool longsleeve, and haven't been as pleased with its utility, and I would suggest leaving yours behind.

I also don't see the need for a wind and a seperate rain jacket. Obviously everyone's temp varies, but it has to be REALLY cold or an extended downhill before I need more than a tee shirt. The hardest days are when it's wet/cold and hilly, and you're overheating on a climb and feezing on decents. In this situation, it doesn't really matter if your jacket breathes because you just want it for the downhill.

If you decide to leave the wool longsleeve, you'll probably want another isulating layer. I would suggest leaving the pillow at home, and replacing it with a light vest or jacket, either synthetic or down. It will make just as fluffy a pillow for you and let you leave another item at home.

I agree on leaving the dog spray--a strong yelling voice will serve you better. Definitely only one pair of boxers, if that.

I'm assuming you'll have some sort of chapstick/lipbalm, which I just wanted to mention I've found useful when doing road repairs on that Topeak pump. The grit out West works it's way in and breaks the seal on the cylinder and you can use chapstick to regrease.

Ground sheet probably isn't necessary, but on dry, bug-free nights (they exist!) it's nice to just rack out on that instead of putting the tent up.

YMMV but I always seem to accumulate zip-loc bags on the road instead of needing to bring extra--tortillas, trail-mix, etc. all come in them.

Have a great ride.