Old 05-09-12, 03:50 AM
rtciv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wearing through trousers/shorts at a rapid pace

Hi there. I'm not certain that this is cycling related but I'm fairly sure it is. I wear through the crotch of any trousers or shorts at a shocking pace. Generally I get about 30-60 days of wear out of them before there's a hole, and then it grows rapidly and I have to retire them. Repairs are futile because the material has thinned out so much over a wide area, and I can't get patches to stay on. One thing I haven't tried yet is pre-patching new trousers before they wear out, but this would look a bit strange.

I used to work as a cycle courier and covered 20-60 miles per day, and I did go through clothes pretty quickly. BUT I wore shorts almost every day and these last much longer. I theorise that swinging my leg over my bike stretches the material a lot with trousers, even when I pull them up first to gain range of motion. With shorts, this problem isn't there.

These days I basically only cycle 3 miles per day, commuting. I'm wearing through trousers quickly. Four pairs so far this year, with huge holes in them.

Has anyone else had this problem? I can't remember how it has varied with different saddles, but I THINK it wasn't an issue back when I rode a leather one. I'm not certain, though.

I could wear a different set of clothes to cycle in and then change at work, but I'd still wear through them just as fast and it would cost me the same money/effort of constantly seeking new clothes that would otherwise last for 5 years or more. Plus I cycle around town as transport and I don't want to have to dress up just for that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!