Old 05-09-12, 06:34 AM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Austro-Daimler Find -- anyone have more info, and a minor dent/rust question

I haven't bought a bike for a long time, and saw a Bianchi listed on CL... turns out the other bike in the picture was closer to my size and had a bunch of Campy NR parts, so I bought it.

It was advertised as an Austro-Daimler, and it has an A D on the seat lug stay area, but no headbadge or other decals. SN is 6168?77. The fork is stamped Reynolds 531, frame seems to take a 27.2 seatpost. I've searched and found a bit of info on the web, but if anyone can identify a model name definitively I'd be grateful.

Unfortunately I found a small dent on the top tube on inspection in the light, and looks to have been kept in a basement with signs of some surface rust, spidering under the paint, etc. I couldn't find other evidence of a crash; what are you guy's opinion in the structural integrity? Would I be crazy to ride it? Crazy not to ride it? YANMFB (you are not my frame builder, etc etc, and not liable if I ride it and it explodes). Last two pics show the dent. Refinish? Throw away and part out? Touch up? Your opinions are welcomed!

IMG_1706 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1708 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1709 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1710 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1711 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1712 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1713 by orrery84, on Flickr

IMG_1714 by orrery84, on Flickr