View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 05:02 PM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I think the guy gave you a well reasoned and thoughtful response to your email. I certainly don't read any offensive remarks within his response. He thinks he can get more, you think it's worth less. It's his bike, so he has the "say" in the negotiations. And there is no CL rule that say pricing is negotiable. I would thank him for his words, wish him good luck, and tell him if he changes his mind on the price to let you know. Chances are very slim that he will contact you, but it's a civil ending to the impasse.
+1

When I read your message, I was expecting a harsh response. I was pleased to see that he responded appropriately. Although I disagree with the seller's evaluation, I enjoyed reading his reasoning. Knowing what people spend on project bikes, it wouldn't surprise me if he sold it for $150. Just as there are delusional sellers, there are equally foolish buyers.

Even though I've been tempted many times to send an email to delusional sellers, I see it as being unproductive. Your assessment is correct, but so few people are willing to hear the truth. Knowing that to be true, I chuckle and move along.

I do find it interesting that I appraise my stuff higher than I appraise other seller's same stuff. When I sell, I want top dollar; when I buy, I want bottom dollar.