View Single Post
Old 05-12-12, 07:32 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
So what's the options? Don't fix and don't use the bike?
Thanks all for the advice. I have looked at derailleurhanger.com and didn't see this model listed, but from what I understand the same hanger was used on several models so it might still be there. I'll give them a call. Replacement is definately the surest option, I just wanted to know how safe it was to use an aluminum hanger that had been bent and straightened. Yeah, not fixing and not using the bike is an option of I cannot find a replacement hanger and if (though this doesn't sound like the case) rebending the hanger would be unsafe. Failure of a derailleur hanger can mean derailleur and chain into spokes which could result in a major crash, especially on a rough downhill. I know there are always risks, but I won't ride a bike if I know there is something wrong with it that could result in severe injury.

The first LBS I checked with didn't sound promising, but the second said they would probably be able to solve the problem, so I might just leave it in their hands. Hopefully we can find the right hanger and life will be good again.