Old 05-13-12, 06:57 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Commuter 1 vs. Trek Belleville vs....?

I swore one bike would be enough for me, but lately I've been thinking more and more about adding a second steed to my stable. My current ride is an 87 Schwinn Tempo. It has a back rack and does alright for shopping with panniers, but it's more speedy than sturdy. I've been looking at the Jamis Commuter 1, since it comes with everything I'd wanted (fenders, rear rack, bell) and was in my price range (<$500). But then I was browsing Trek's site and I found the Belleville. I really like the front and rear rack, but I've never had a non-derailleured bike. I also really like the dynamo powered lights, but don't know how bright they usually are. (I work nights, so for most of the year I commute in the dark.) And then there's the obvious Trek badging, a thief magnet.

For any sort of serious hauling I'd probably get a trailer, but I don't know which one of these would work best for that. I don't really do much heavy-duty stuff, as I'm single, child-free and live in an apartment. (I have a small locking storage shed where I keep my bike.) So, main questions:

Are hub dynamo-powered lights bright enough for night riding?
Does anyone have experience with the Jamis Commuters? Are they sturdy enough for grocery runs/trailer pulling?
How does the dynamo/hub gearing affect changing flats?

Would I be better off just putting a front rack on a Commuter? How difficult would it be to set up some dynamo lights on one? Or would I be better off spending the extra $350 on a Belleville? Or is there a better bike out there for the same amount of money?

ETA: links!
Trek Belleville - http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...e/belleville/#
Jamis Commuter 1 - http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/s...muter1_bl.html

Last edited by kookaburra1701; 05-13-12 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added links