View Single Post
Old 05-13-12, 06:53 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 405 Posts
I used to believe I could remove any stuck seatpost. I was 12 for 12! Then I picked up another bike with a stuck post, no problem right? Well, then I was 12 for 13. (I have since picked up a half dozen bikes with stuck posts, using the strategy below).

Any bike with a stuck post, I just adjust my price to donor bike level (what are the crankset, pedals, derailleurs, handlebars, stem and wheels worth?) I explain this to the seller, and even let them take a shot at freeing up a stuck post. Last time I did this, I made two offers: X if the seat post is not stuck, 1/2 X if it is stuck. (It was stuck). I will tell the seller that most of the time, I can free them up. But it can be a lot of work, and sometimes, the only way to get it out is to cut it out.

Your comment that you are "pretty sure you can remove the stuck post" is based on what experience?

I have access to a lot of tools, a heavy workbench with a large vise, etc. If you saw the last stuck post I "unstuck" two days ago, you would probably come to the conclusion that it can be pretty tough. Push it too hard, and you can end up with a bent frame, break a seat stay loose, or whatever. I am a chemical engineer by background, so I am not bashful at throwing the full chemical arsenal at the problem (requires the right protective equipment, knowledge, etc). Cutting it out has its own set of challenges, seat posts are usually pretty thick, frame seat tubes are usually very thin.

Also make sure stem is not stuck. About a quarter of the time when I find a stuck seat post, the stem will also be stuck.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-13-12 at 07:11 PM.