Old 05-20-12, 02:08 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
My experience in New York is that any rider needs to be careful with bringing any vintage bike to a bike shop.
Caution is prudent on both sides of the coin.

For the owner, make sure that the shop you're entrusting your pride and joy to has the capability and the knowledge to service your bicycle.

For the mechanic, examine the situation carefully before you even put a wrench on the bike. A lot of this frustration could have been saved if the
mechanic took the time to call the customer and make him aware of what's wrong, especially given the owner's financial situation.

That being said... if the OP knew his axle was bent, and he was also aware of the fact that what he owns is considered 'vintage', then why did he
continue to ride on the bent axle?

As far as the headset adjustment and the QR skewer issue... I cannot comment on that because I wasn't there to witness what happened.

Bottom line; it was a lose/ lose for everyone involved. The OP is not happy, the shop now has a credibility issue... lessons to be gleaned from
every response posted here, and food for thought regarding other related interpersonal issues.