View Single Post
Old 05-21-12, 07:44 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doonbiker
Frankly, an aluminium road bike over $1200 is a little overpriced imo.

Still..

The Chameleon does come pretty close. My only consternation is that the elastomer might induce flexing later. (BruceMetras, may I ask how long have you had yours, and if you've faced this problem? She's a beauty, by the way.)

I've actually heard good things about the Minimax, but I'll wait for someone to post a ride-n'-tell.

Looks like yet another BikeFriday/Airnimal stand-off as of now.

Man, why isn't there a light(er)weight titanium version of the Dahon Dash P18? I'd have lapped it up by now.
The Airnimal was a pretty good ride during a handful of test rides. The big issue is tire/tube availability. The Joey can actually fit ERTO 520 and 507 tires which makes things considerably better on that front. But last I checked the Joey only comes in one size whereas the Chameleon came in either two or three.

FWIW, I believe that titanium frames are roughly the same weight as aluminum frames; but have ride characteristics similar to steel frames.

There was a limited edition titanium Birdy.

Bike Friday will replace the steel seat mast with a titanium version which saves some weight. Although getting back to the weight difference between titanium and aluminum, when Bike Friday made a "Super" Pocket Rocket Pro prototype, I believe they made the seat mast out of aluminum because the aluminum piece was lighted than a similar titanium piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjswy_xlN8