Old 05-21-12, 10:25 AM
SmoothSaling
Designer On 2 Wheels

Bikes: '11 Giant XTC1, 853 Voodoo Rada Steel, Bianchi 928 T-Cube

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fietsbob - I am a web designer and want to help with some LBSs bad websites. I know they are al super busy and dont have time to worry about that stuff, but with some simple tweaks and simple marketing ideas I think they can use their webpage to help grow their business! I don't expect them to update inventory, or blog more then they ride/work on bikes. All I want is a page that is easy to navigate to the sections of the site that are important to the customers of the LBS

Here are some Ideas

Pages:
Home page - have some nice photos, let me know what brands you sell (but don't link to the manufacturers site just yet!) YOUR HOURS, I shouldn't have to visit a contact/about/location page to see your address and hours.

About the shop - tell us why your shop is so special. Has it been around since the 70's. Do you have a veteran team of racers. Are super involved with trail building or local bike groups. Brag about yourself, you are doing what you love!

Services offered - Many times I find out about some awesome thing a LBS does, but only when I am in the shop. Let us know about tune-ups, repairs, rentals, demos, trips, etc! Oh yeah, and give us the prices!

Photo Gallery - Show us some personality

Blog - but only if you are going to use it regularly! Otherwise just skip it.

Features:
Hours, address and link to a map on every page. This can be small font above to header or in footer. Don't make a customer think, "now where would I find out where they are located?" If they are on a page that got them to want to go to them, let them find the way on that page and convert them into a face 2 face customer quicker!

Social media - Use it, and they will come. You don't have to be super FB user, just lets us know about a group ride or post pics of customers bikes being built. We will share it with our friends.

Responsive design - Mobile sites don't have to be a separate website. We are living in 2012, a great time in web design and technology. If you build your page right from the start you can detect if the user is on a phone and display the same webpage in a format that is best for them. This will be great for people in new part of town looking for that extra GU, tube, tire, Front wheel (it happens) - they will be on their phone and need to know 2 things, where are you, and are you open?