Old 05-22-12, 04:49 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ah yes you do have the Problem Solver clamp, I did see it but then forgot.

Aheadset stem clamps usually have 40mm or so for clamping, whereas the Problem Solver which I also got and am not using any more, is a mere 8mm(?), so it involves a small section of steerer tube in the friction game, apparently too little. I am now using a Salsa clamp from which I filed away the ridge; it is about 15mm wide, but that still moved albeit less over a longer period. So then I put in the friction grease and that has so far helped. Of course, I have to mention that my steerer is carbon so that is hard to clamp hard enough without breaking or collapsing it. Perhaps some of that grease will help your case too. The double bolt clamp is going to have a similar effect, involving more area in clamping, with the much increased friction.

I added the quill lengthener in the Redline mainly to have less leverage from the stem riser on the clamp assembly. The leverage is determined by the length of the steerer inside the stem riser, and that is too small with the Redline. The quill should make a nice difference on the leverage - but it needs to be a reasonably snug fit inside the riser.

I slotted my riser in exactly the same way, a drill and hacksaw. I filed the slot wider with a needle file. Rather ghetto-ish. Fortunately it is mostly hidden by the Salsa clamp. The filing does improve it a bit since I was able to compensate for the slight crookedness.

Here is a pic of the Swift before ascending Mt Hotham, Australia's highest climb.