Old 05-22-12, 06:29 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I can guess about other people but I don't really know.

What do you believe attracted people to bikes in the 1970s?
I was always a bike nut. My dad was a bike nut and commuted via 10-speed in the mid-60's. I had a 3-speed Raleigh growing up, but it got stolen in junior high. I borrowed Dad's bike occasionally after that. In 1973 I went back to college and my parents bought me a used Raleigh Gran Prix for my birthday. I rode that bike for decades.

Was cycling, in the 1970s, a individualistic type of sport? Or was it a sport that people built communities around?
For me it was mostly individualistic. I'd occasionally go on rides with other people. There were no centuries or fondos back then - not that I was aware of.

Were the majority of cyclists in the 1970s riding to race? Or just for the enjoyment of getting out on a bike?
I don't know. I watched a local criterium every year so some people were racing. Not me. I rode for transportation, fitness, and recreation.

Do you think the introduction of the 10-speed derailer peaked people's interest in biking?
I think it did. I remember the 10-speed being a fad. People from that era still refer to road bikes as "10-speeds."

Were people buying bikes in the 1970s buying bikes for the first time? Or were they upgrading to something better?
I was upgrading. As for others, who knows?

Was the bike boom just a fad?
It was a fad, but not just. It was also a movement, and a continuation of something that had started decades.

Do you have any stories about your experiences racing in the 1970s?
I've never raced.

Was cycling an "elitist" sport in the 70s?
I'd say just the opposite. It was a "people's" sport. (Power to the people, right on!)

Do you think people were attracted to cycling in the 70s as a form of escapism from the pressures of society?
Maybe a little, but not much.

What prompted your interest in bikes?
My family were cyclists. Sunday afternoons in good weather we would ride around Green Lake in Seattle as a family. My dad was a big bike nut so I sort of inherited it. I liked bikes because they are fun, economical, good for both physical and mental health, and an excellent mode of transportatioin.

What prompted your interest in competitive cycling?
I've never been interested in competitive cycling, except to watch others compete. Greg Lemond got me interested in the Tour de France.