Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
The biggest problem with "home movies" is the lack of a STORY. Nobody, NOBODY wants to sit and look at a bunch of clips of things you saw. It's just one of those things where you had to be there to appreciate it. And, since no one that is forced to watch your video WAS there, they will not appreciate it. You need to tell a story.
I agree.

I also recommend watching travel shows and similar on TV. Watch Top Gear as the guys travel across a desert or jungle in old beaters. Watch Getaway as beautiful people bask in the sun next to brilliant blue pools, or do an afternoon of rock climbing or canoeing. Watch the outdoor man/survival type of shows. But watch them critically ... what is being shot? why did that bit of footage make it into the program? how did the cameraman get that shot? etc. etc.

Notice how the people stand, how they look at the camera. Notice that in many of these shows, you'll have a short 5 min segment on a particular topic (i.e. the afternoon of rock climbing) and then the show will switch to something completely different for 5 minutes, and then maybe back to the first topic, etc.

Last edited by Machka; 05-22-12 at 04:21 PM.