View Single Post
Old 05-23-12, 07:38 AM
chepburn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about a road bike

My initial "goal" was to be able to do 5 miles without stopping (that was a little over a month ago), Sunday I did 10 and I did a "casual" midnight madness ride of just over 13 miles 2 weeks ago. I've only logged about 100 miles so far so maybe I'm jumping the gun here...

I now find myself wanting to go further and faster, I really enjoy the ride. I'd also like to get more involved with some local ride groups but I think my 8.3 DS just isn't suited for longer, faster rides. I don't want to say I regret the decision to buy the DS but I'm just not sure that I shouldn't have just bought a road bike to begin with.

I won't be doing this tomorrow but it should be within a month or so, it will be my reward for getting down to 250lbs (which may factor in my choices, need guidance on that too).

Anyway, I have 2 LBS's in town. One carries Trek, the other carries Specialized and Raleigh. I could drive to Houston but that's a little over an hour away but would give access to several other brands.

I have been looking online and have some choices kinda narrowed down, I'm thinking my budget will be under $1500 but I need to buy shows and pedals so keep that in mind

Trek 2.1 Apex and the Specialized Secteur Elite Compact - these 2 are top of the budget and may require me to sell my 8.3 DS, not sure if I want to do that.

Trek 1.5 and Secteur Sport Compact - these 2 fall into my budget without having to sell the 8.3 DS

I know I need to go ride each and see which fits me best but I like to go into things with some knowledge.

or like I said, I can travel to Houston but that leaves the LBS out of the loop (I liked both shops btw, I just thought the 8.3 DS was what I wanted the most out of my choices).

Thoughts and comments appreciated.