Old 05-24-12, 06:59 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Hi,

This looks like a nice event. I rode from Lake Forest, Illinois to Michigan City, Indiana using the same route in 2009. The route was paved and most riders were on road bikes without any problems.

I would take the Hybrid, the 700c size wheels and tires should do a better job on pavement. If the brakes are operating normally, they should be more than adequate. The smoother rolling bike will be easier to ride on a long event.

I would consider upgrading the tires, especially if the current tires are worn or damaged. Original equipment tires sold on new bikes are often heavier than needed and don't roll or ride as smoothly as good aftermarket tires.

These are all great tires. I have both the Vittoria and Schwalbe and are very happy with them.

Prices range from $13 each for the Forté Metro-K to about $60 for the Schwable tire.

700x32 Vittoria Randonneur Hyper: fast, light, supple, moderately flat resistant, moderate price, but weaker gravel & dirt road tire due to smaller size and smooth shoulders.

700x35 Schwalbe Dureme: very flat resistant, durable, better on soft ground, heavy, and expensive.

700x35 Forté Metro-K from Performance: Best value, very good all-around performer.

If I was touring, I would use the Schwalbe, it's the toughest and most versatile. If I was doing a century ride, I would want the Vittoria, it's the fastest and most supple. For all around commuting and recreational cycling, the Forte is hard to fault.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-24-12 at 07:12 AM.