Old 05-25-12, 05:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by muzz89
Hi everyone,

I am new here on the forum but not so new to cycling, I am thinking of cycling from LA to NY for charity and would appreciate any help/advice. I cycle quite a lot but not on a particular bike (bikes owned by brother). I am unsure which bike I should get for a cross country ride, due to not riding massively I would be looking at doing it in 45ish days.
Do you plan on camping and cooking? Credit card touring? Having a support vehicle? How much stuff do you plan to carry?

45-ish days is not very long for a self supported coast to coast ride. It is more doable if your route will be pretty direct. For example if you manage to keep it to 2800 miles you could do it in 45 days doing an average of 62 miles per day. That said most routes are more like 4000 or more miles. and the large majority take a good bit longer. We took 73 days to do the Trans America Route (a bit over 4200 miles) and figure that is pretty normal middle of the pack pace.

Average daily mileage varies all over the place for different riders and anywhere from 25-85 is probably in the broad range of normal.

FWIW, I don't get the charity ride thing. Why should anyone donate because you are taking a vacation and doing something that lots of people do for fun? I hope you don't plan on using donations to help pay your expenses. That would be very bad form IMO.