View Single Post
Old 05-25-12, 08:55 AM
Torrilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My partner's San Jose (same basic frame as a Volpe, with track ends rather than vertical dropouts) has a Jandd Expedition rack. We bought it in 2007, and it shows basically no signs of wear or use. This is the 3rd bike the rack has graced, and I expect it'll continue to decorate one of our daily rides for quite a long time to come.

Most cheaper racks (am not counting the other poster's TorTec recommendation in that) have a triangular 3 stay configuration that doesn't support your pannier very well. The Jandd and TorTec racks and some of the Nitto and Tubus racks have a rear stay that makes a bent shape and prevents a pannier with a dense load from swaying into your spokes. That is well worth the extra money spent. Stuff swaying into your spokes can break them, cause sudden stops, or otherwise cause a dangerous situation. It's not a super common danger with a triangular stay arrangement, but I have run into it, and these days I make sure loads that might cause the situation are arranged very carefully.

If you anticipate using the bike for general car free use, I'd recommend the Jandd somewhat over the TorTec/Tubus/Nitto type racks, since it has a platform on the rear. This makes it easier to use the rack with a bungee net and random bags to haul home extra load. With a wirework frame on the rack, you have to be careful that your surprise load is securely wrapped before you bungee it on. If you plan to tour exclusively, or you don't expect items to load on the rear platform, it's fine to have the wirework top, and it saves a smidge of weight.