Old 05-26-12, 11:21 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman715
it best to to ship a bike by UPS or Fedex , instead of the airlines . just time the delivery around the time you get there .it cheaper and safer to do it this way.
This is what I do for domestic bike travel, reaching out to a friend, a local shop, or my hotel to receive the bike for me a few days before my arrival. I ship in a hard case which I've reused a number of times. Unfortunately this is totally impractical for overseas flights where I need to use extreme measures.

Usually I divide the bike into 2 boxes, sharing the space with my other baggage, and never admitting that there's a bike within. I've gotten away with low or no oversize fees this way, and most overseas flights still allow 2 bags.

To the OP, there's no need to guess. Measure your frame from head tube to rear dropout, and from BB to seat lug. Draw a proportional sketch of a box with these on the diagonal. Allow 25cm for a minimum width allowance and see if there's any hope at all working within the remaining 135cm. I suspect you'll find that is' probably a no go.

You'll need roughly 90cm for the length, and 60cm for height, leaving you a bit short. Don't forget you need a few cm for packing material and the box's wall thickness. OTOH- if you find it teasingly close, you might want to give it a shot laying the parts out on the floor and measuring more carefully in the real world.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.