View Single Post
Old 05-26-12, 11:35 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
expander plug inside steerer - solution?

Threadless fork issue:

Alright, I've done something very stupid & hope someone can help me figure it out. I was trying to take my top cap off my fork. Instead, I carelessly screwed out the topcap AND the top of the expander wedge/compression plug. (Please excuse my inaccuracy.)

I now have the topcap + cone/wedge + bolt out of the steerer.

Inside the steerer is the bottom wedge/cone. The problem is that the fork has part of the plug contraption glued/secured inside the steerer.

I somehow need to get the bottom cone/wedge lined up against these in-place wedges and then screw on the topcap/cone piece.

I've flipped the bike and can get the bottom cone against the wedge part but when I attempt to screw them back together, things move.

1) thought about getting the topcap & wedge/cone/screw apart. Tried holding the cone with pliers but can't get the cap to screw off. Don't want to hold too tightly and knick up the cone edges. If I can get them free this might allow me to dip the bolt inside the steerer, further than I can get with the topcap attached.

2) the bottom cone/wedge piece is conical. Do I want the flat side up or do I want the cone/angled side up? Depending on how it is oriented it'll either sit flush against the glued in pieces or pull into it when the top cone is screwed down.

Sorry for being confusing. Damn. This is a really stupid mistake to make.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by nayr497; 05-26-12 at 11:41 AM. Reason: +