Old 05-26-12, 07:02 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
I did the 50 mi club ride to Boca Raton today. I was ride leader, but I bonked at about 38 mi on the ride home and did the last 12 mi solo. Bonked on the same ride last week at about 35 mi.

I'm on a low calorie high fat diet and while I'm in Ketosis, I'm still 2-3 weeks from being fully keto-adapted.

On thing I did notice was the effect of fat metabolism being much less oxygen intense than carbohydrate metabolism. On the ride home though the park we were doing 24-25 and I looked and my HR was 88 - 92% max, but I was hardly breathing. Normally at that effort level I would be sucking wind bad.

Once I'm fully keto-adapted I should be able to maintain a high level of effort for extended periods. I want to be ready for some grueling rides in upstate NY in the mountains. It's a real change from the billiard top riding I do here.
This is a terrible idea for bike rides, the longer the ride worse it will be. You need carbs to ride anything other than a very short ride. I know a couple of people who did the same thing as you, and had even worse results, they passed out. I tried it once on a century. I passed out at dinner later in the day. I happened to have an EMT and a diabetic at dinner. The diabetic had his meter with him. I quote " absolutly 911 levels". (single digits). Some ice cream brought me back.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-26-12 at 07:07 PM.