Old 05-29-12, 09:21 AM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I don't think the swivel mechanism is as well designed as on Yakima's tandem roof rack, but Yakima specifically says not to use their rack with factory rails, so that ruled it out for me.
And to answer the comments about desecrating the car, the factory cross bars come off in about 5 minutes, and we're only going to use it for trips to the mountains, where we want to enjoy the drive getting there, and the riding also.
My one quibble with the rockymounts is related to the swivel, and that it doesn't lock 'open' when you want to mount/dismount the fork, I have found that the accompanying handlebar strap does stabilize the tandem but it would be nice to have the head fixed while attaching the fork.

Then, anyone who says that adding a rack is "desecration" clearly doesn't know the history of Porsche and that roof racks have been a tradition in Europe for as long as the car has been around. Further, at least you're driving the damn car, rather than letting it sit-around gathering dust as some showroom queen (and nothing gets my goat more than sports cars being desecrated as showroom queens).