Old 05-29-12, 11:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think this book went to press within the last month. You're probably right about different people having slightly different perceptions, and also attention over the course of a long ride. Taking Blewett for example, for most of the ride the shoulder is generously wide, 6 to 8 feet in places. But the few miles surrounding the pass, especially leading up to it while you're climbing slowly, have a shoulder that's just narrower than my handlebars, and a guard rail. There are two car lanes, and there wasn't much traffic when I went, so most people got in the right lane to go around me. It wasn't bad (near Steven's Pass was scary!), but I think people should know what they're getting into.

There's an Oregon book, too, FYI.

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
By the way, I'm really enjoying your ride reports and photos. Please keep posting them.
Thanks! And will do. I go out and ride them because I enjoy it, but you'd be surprised how much work goes into finding good routes, and I post them here in the hope that somebody is going to benefit from the research I did... I don't know if other people have the same trouble or not, and I didn't grow up here, which has to be part of it. But I'll keep posting, and hope other people go out and enjoy some of the same rides.