Old 05-30-12, 12:27 PM
robortiz59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Suggestions

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some advice on new wheels. I know a question like this has been asked many times in this forum. But, it seems to me the individual factors that play into wheel choice vary. So, I wanted to provide my specific inputs and ask for your specific feedback.

I currently weigh 225 lbs. But my weight varies over time. I am at the low end of my range in recent years. I have been as high as 260 in the last couple of years.

My bike is a Scott CR1 Team. It currently has the original Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels on it. I have had the bike for four years, and would say I've put between 3,000 and 4,000 miles on it.

I like to think I ride aggressively. That is I always try to push to my maximum capability. I am in and out of the saddle all the time. I always try to take maximum advantage of downhills. I live in a very hilly area. So, I'm often standing and climbing, or bombing downhill in an aerodynamic tuck. However, i do try very hard to be gentle on the bike. I avoid bumps and potholes whenever possible, and I always get off the saddle when I go over bumps.

I need new wheels, or at least a new rear wheel. Some history: When I first got the bike, the rear wheel true would only last about 100 miles. I would bring it to my mechanic (who works out of his garage, so he doesn't sell bikes or any significant amount of parts or accessories) and he would true them up. After doing this three times he suggested we needed to try something different. He had called Mavic and they told him the wheels should support my weight. He suggested the wheels might not have been built carefully at the factory. He suggested he could rebuild them, though couldn't gaurantee this would fix the issue. I agreed to try it. The fix worked. In the last three years I only had the wheels trued as part of the annual tune up.

All this changed today. When I asked the mechanic to true the rear wheel as part of some other service he informed me the wheel is developing tiny cracks around the nipples. It will have to be replaced. So, here I am asking for suggestions. I need a reasonably light wheel for my riding style. But I also need a durable wheel for my weight. Any suggestions for a wheel that will meet my multiple criteria?