Old 05-30-12, 01:57 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have the same symptoms and physical problems. I use a stem riser with drop bars. The tops are very high, if I just touch the tops with my extended fingers I can sit up straight. To combat wind, I have the drops and way up under the drops for a very low position. I managed over 3 hours on Sunday, a little over 40 miles. I stretch my neck, legs, shoulders etc. while rolling. The best rides are when I stretch and change position often. I stretch my neck by tipping it to one side, and the other, and also putting my chin way down. I have other arthritis and joint problems too. I make sure I take my pain pills exactly right on the days I ride. On no ride days I take less than the prescribed amount.

When the tops are very high with drop bars, there lots of ways to get low temporarily. I do fast downhills way in the drops too. There is nothing better than road drop bars to give multiple positions with a neck and back problem.

Different positions with only a small change from one to the next. But overall a big change from highest to lowest.

1) Just touching tops with fingers
2) holding the tops
3) just holding the curve before the hoods
4) on the hoods
5) on the very rear ends of the drop bars.
6) typical drop grip
7) in the drops way up where the brakes are to lower your arms more.
8) of course you can almost put your nose on the stem temporarily.