Old 08-02-05, 03:23 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a SRAM PC-950 chain. They're 114 links out of the box.

I put that on and (pedalling slowly by hand) shifted into the large/large combo.
That was a bit too strained for my comfort, and I never fully engaged the chain on the chainring. So, I got out a piece of the same model chain that I took off from my old bike, which only had 108 or 110 links, and used a second "quick link" to get it on there. The chain is now 116 links total, and can safely shift into large/large.

I know I've exceeded the stated range of the rear derailer, so I can't shift into the 11-13-15 sprockets on the cassette without getting a slack chain if I'm in the smallest front chainring. Not a problem, though, as those combos aren't necessary.

Cable tension is good. Shifting is nice and smooth throughout.

Anyway, in reply to sydney, I don't think I've had any real problems.

I ordered the wrong BB length. My mistake. Couldn't find the info beforehand. Nothing wrong with the hardware.

Here, I know I've exceeded the recommended range for the gearing, which is something I did because I wanted a specific gear range. It was a gamble, and except for this minor issue, the gamble paid off.