Old 06-03-12, 01:23 AM
lancele

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Initially I was wondering if you had a bike in mind because most new sub 20-lb bikes won't have upright sitting positions. One of the simplest and inexpensive methods to create an upright position is to replace the handlebar. The Bontrager Satellite aluminum M-shaped bars are $16 (most Trek LBS should be able to order one, but takes 1-2 weeks to arrive at the store). For about $25 (handlebar + grips + tax), you can get an upright position. The On-One Mary bars are more expensive.

I believe the clamps of both handlebars are 25.4, but should work okay with 26.0 road stems. If using STI, The brakes will feel as though they have some play, but that's because of the lateral movement of the shifters. I got accustomed to it very quickly, and all I need is my index fingers on each brake handle. The change could be made in 30-60 minutes.

If you're going ultralight and the Giant Avail 3 has the proper mount points for your needs, then that bike should be fine except the lowest gear may not be low enough for steep climbs.