Old 06-04-12, 06:41 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
The more competitive the ride, the more likely that traffic rules won't be followed as strictly. A less competitive "No-Drop" ride with a good ride leader is a better bet if you prefer to actually stop or at least slow down at stop signs. A good "No Drop" ride should also have a "Sweeper". A "Sweeper" is an experienced rider who will hang around the back of the pack to make sure no one is left behind.

If it's not a no-drop ride then expect people to go pretty quickly through the stops and sometimes run red lights. No one wants to get dropped 30 miles from where they started and if you're tired, you do not want to fall off the back of the pack because you will soon be on your own.

I've been disappointed by my regular group ride this year. In the past the leader was very good about laying out the ground rules of the ride, including telling people to obey traffic laws. It was also a beginner friendly ride, though the pace has always been fairly quick. Not anymore. I can't think of a single beginner this year that has come back. It's been infiltrated by Cross racers and MTB racers that are looking to get in some longer training rides. It's not that they're bad guys but they set a pace that a beginner can't maintain and well above what's advertised.
People just don't have a clue what a beginner is. The local bike club has discriptions on a beginners rides. It states that the average speed is 15 mph. True biggeners don't even have road bikes. 15 mph average for a pack of "beginners"? Horse****z!