Old 06-06-12, 04:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Herb
Check out a folding bike from Dahon, or Bike Friday. Both have great touring bikes. 20" wheels. Dahon has a couple of bikes sub 20Lbs up right
riding position that might fit your needs at very affordible prices. If in NYC check out NYCE wheels.
Be sure to give them a good trial first. I find the folders I have ridden to be pretty poor in terms of how little rigidity the frames have with the long mast for a stem. I always had the bars as low as they would go and still wanted them lower. I would guess that with them higher it would be worse. It is especially bad when climbing. I would guess that it would also be worse with any load.

I also found it impossible to adjust the riding position to anything like my preferred road bike posture without major modifications. This might not be an issue for you since you specified an upright riding style.

I have not ridden a Bike Friday so they may be better in this regard, but have tried a variety of Dahons including a Helios that I own. I find the Helios fine for short errands especially in flat country, but I personally wouldn't want to tour or even do long rides on it.