Old 06-07-12, 10:55 AM
chalkface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help in identifying a "supposed" giant mountain bike

Hi biker folks.....completely new to both biking and this forum....could use some help not sure if anyone out there can shed some light on this matter but would sure appreciate if anyone can.

im in vietnam and im getting fat....biking seems to be the way to go but there are no decent bikes available here except a few really low-end cannondales...Trail 3 and 4, decent frames but low end parts, and 300 bucks more expensive than back home...and GT aggressors and avalanche, neither of which impress me due to some bad reviews and acera/alivio parts.

It used to be you had to go all the way to thailand to get a decent bike but recently Giant opened a branch in cambodia and they are selling real good models, not just the crappy low end stuff. I emailed a guy who works in the cambodian giant branch and he sent me details of the only second-hand bike the have in stock, which is going for 890 US dollars. I am considering getting a bus over the border and buying the bike, but while doing some research I just cant match the bike he is selling to anything anywhere on the web.

The bike is supposedly a "2011 giant XTC alliance half carbon"..and those are his exact words. I have attached a picture of the bike that he sent me below..(hope it uploads here okay).

Anyway..what has me baffled is the way the seatstays butt into the seattube-bar part of the frame...the seat stays are higher than the point where the cross bar butts into the seat tube bar....its easier to just look at the pic than me try explaining it..should be clear what im getting at cos it looks a bit weird.

I have searched online and cant see any other giant bikes that have this kind of frame...and so i am wondering is this bike kosher or not. It would be a real bummer to go all that way by bus, over the border to another country, and find out the bike is a dud.

I will try upload a photo below...if anyone can help identifying the bike or give any info about i would be very very happy

right here goes (deep breath)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (73.8 KB, 31 views)