sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianstew
so dothose who are anti helmet for whatever reason at least recomend that children wear them?
I would likely have my kids wear them, especially as they are still learning to ride. The older they get, and the more solid their riding skills, it slowly becomes unnecessary (note: I don't think it is strictly "necessary" in the first place, as in a kid must have them to ride, lest they be in grave danger. But I think kids have the most chance, and probably will, stand to benefit from their use).

I would note, as I have in the past, I even wear them if I suspect my chances of falling are high: First rain coming out of the dry season (oil slick roads), pouring rain, icy, etc. I have no illusions that it'll save my life, but it may help cut back on some nasty gashes or bumps; if I'm riding in a situation where I think that may actually be a useful tool, I'll definitely use it. I just don't think 99% of my riding which consists of commuting, riding to the grocery store, post office, etc, has even an outside chance of standing to benefit from helmet use, so I forgo it for convenience.

TL;DR: yes, in most cases.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
BMX races are sprint (short) events and skateboarding appears to be a low-effort activity. A helmet with poor air flow isn't as much as a problem.
Firstly, riding a skateboard isn't what I would call a low-effort activity. Like a bike, it is what you make it... you can mosey along at a walking pace, or you can bomb down the street.

Secondly, I think the important point here (for me) is it establishes that people are willing to sacrifice safety (better helmets) for convenience (uber-vented helmets). If we've already established that, all we're really haggling on is the price. For some people the choice may be no lid at all, for others it may be a vented helmet, while others may want the more complete protection of few-vents, like a skate-style helmet.

But it definitely doesn't put anyone who is using a typical vented bicycle helmet to be in a holier-than-thou position to mock those who choose not to don one at all as "organ donors" or people tempting fate, as they too have sacrificed their safety to an extent. That's the point I try to make when I talk about body armor: We all choose to take some amount of risk every day for the sake of convenience or enjoyment; even riding the bike itself is a (small, in most cases) risk. Forgoing helmets have shown to probably not be that big of a risk, so it's silly to get worked up over. You don't need one to ride reasonably safely. If you, or anyone else, chooses to wear one, I don't care; it's the attitude that everyone else should too that I find misguided and illogical. Statistically, when a MHL passes and the number of helmet wearers rise, the number of injuries doesn't change significantly. That's enough for me to deduce helmets aren't all that important. If someone chooses to wear one because it holds no "downside" for them, that's fine; I choose not to wear a lid just as I choose not to wear body armor because I don't think the minimal protection it extends will outweigh the inconvenience of using it.

Last edited by sudo bike; 06-07-12 at 12:15 PM.