Old 06-07-12, 09:11 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for me to man up!!

OK, here's the deal. Overall, I've been riding for about a year. I've made a ton of progress and lost a ton of weight in that year. I've ridden a few metric centuries, 1 full century and a few thousand training/fun miles. But in my year of riding, my toughest hill has been about 2 miles of 5-6% grade. Yeah, it's tough and I'm out of breath at the top and when I tell non cyclists that I ride up it all the time they act all shocked and impressed. But honestly, I feel like a huge poser! I've yet to do a true "climb". It's time for me to nut up or shut up!

So I think I've picked out my climb. I don't know how familiar most members here are with Washington, but I'm going to ride from Packwood to Chinook Pass via Highway 123. I mapped it on MapMyRide and it says its 50 miles round trip and 5032 feet of elevation gain! I may be a bit over-confident in my abilities and might have picked something a bit too hard, but I'm sure as hell gonna give it a try! I might fail miserably. I might crap myself descending. But I'm gonna ride it like Phil Liggett is narrating my every pedal stroke! Well, maybe not that way, more like slow and steady!

So, opinions? Advice? Words of encouragement? Am I crazy?